Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Metropolitan Museum of Art

Cooper and I weren't sure what we wanted to do today. He was finally feeling well, and asked for a hot chocolate after we dropped off Zoe. It was actually the first morning that the weather wasn't a scorcher, and that's what sounded good to him. We had a nice time sitting in Union Square figuring out our plan.

 Our days here are winding down, so we were anxious to cross a few more things of our wish list. I have really been wanting to get to the Metropolitan Museum of Art, and even though Cooper wasn't really excited about it, he indulged me!
On the way, we found an incredible chocolate chop...La Maison du Chocolat. We tasted some incredible chocolate and picked up some macarons for Zoe. She is on a mission to taste every macaron in the city!
 I had no idea how giant this museum is!

 You could spend months inside this place and still not see everything! We went to some of the highlights, and explored what we could. It was incredible to see original art from Michelangelo.
 Cooper's favorite part of the museum was the armor and arms section.

 The Egyptian art was incredible!


 This is the view of the entry staircase, which was also the cover of the book "From the Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankenweiler" which Cooper read in school last year.
My favorite part was the European paintings. It was just amazing to see these original art pieces that I've read about and seen pictures of in real life. Renoir, Monet, Van Gogh...just incredible!

Degas has a series on dancers which I have loved for years. They had 2 rooms full of his drawings and paintings.
 
 
 Cooper was getting restless in the museum. I could've stayed for hours more....I am just in awe of the artifacts and art they have there! But we headed out, and found another beautiful view of Central Park.
While we were at the museum, Zoe went to lunch and got frozen yogurt with some of her friends.
 We crossed another bakery off the list today too...the Momofuku Milk Bar. They have an assortment of baked goods, and milk products. They even have a cereal milk flavored frozen yogurt. We had a sample and it was so good! I had heard great things about the crack pie, so that's what I got. It was delicious.
 Cooper and I walked up Park Ave. and spent some more time exploring the area before picking up Zoe.
 After dinner tonight, we headed up to Cafe Lalo for dessert. This was the cafe featured in the movie "You've Got Mail" and it's a big hangout for locals and celebrities.
Such a cute little place!
 Cooper got the dark chocolate lava cake...
 Zoe got the dulce de leche cheesecake with coffee ice cream...
 I shared with both of them!!
We are so excited for Joe to be here tomorrow! We have all missed him terribly, and it will be so nice to all be together again. (If only we had our dogs, and we would be complete!) We are looking forward to showing him some of our favorite spots and getting to see Zoe perform at the end of the week.

0 comments: