Friday, July 26, 2013

A.B.T. Final Performances

I took Zoe to the studio today for the last time. Cooper stayed home with Joe, so it was just the two of us, just like it was on our first day here. We were both feeling a bit nostalgic and remembering that first day. I really can't believe that today is the last day and that 5 full weeks have already gone by. Once I dropped her off, she headed out to Queens with her group to get ready for the big shows.

Joe, Cooper and I did a lit bit of packing and then hit the subway. Cooper has become a real New Yorker, traveling on the metro like he lives here.

We arrived at the Frank Sinatra School of Arts Theatre.

 Before the show, Kevin McKenzie, the ABT Director came out to talk to the audience about the program, the staff, and the future for some of these amazing dancers.
 The first show was incredible, and I was in awe of the level of talent some of these dancers have. The older girls and boys were truly amazing. Each of the levels did ballet excerpts from different ballets, such as Swan Lake and Coppelia. Each level also did an original choreographed piece that was either ballet, modern, character, or jazz. In the first show, Zoe did a modern piece called Seagulls and Doves.Unfortunately, no photography of any kind was allowed in the theater. I got one quick shot with my iPhone of Zoe's modern dance number, but that was it!
 After the first show, she was able to come out and meet us for lunch.
We ended up at Panera with many of the other dancers.
 Zoe had to check back into the theater early, so Joe, Coop and I walked around for a while. Of course we found another bakery, so we headed in for some delicious cupcakes!

 Cooper can't ever seem to keep his face clean!
 The second show was incredible too. This time Zoe performed a ballet number en pointe called Dance of the Hours from Coppelia. She looked beautiful! Wish I could've gotten some pictures!
 Zoe did get some pictures for me backstage though...



 Zoe made some great friends over the course of this intensive...I see a lot of texts and FaceTimes in her future!
After the show we met her in the lobby. Cooper was a BIG trooper today, sitting through 2 long ballet shows.
 We couldn't be more proud of this young lady. She has worked so hard, and dedicated herself completely to this program. She didn't complain a single time about the long days and strenuous work on her body.
 We rode the subway back to Manhattan. She got to spend a little more time with one of her new friends, Ashley. It was hard for all of these girls to say goodbye to each other!

She wanted to pick up one more Boba smoothie on the way home...I think she deserved it!


0 comments: