I didn't sleep very well last night, I was feeling quite nervous for my girl. I just wanted to get there smoothly on the subway, get her checked in, and hope for a good first day! Zoe was feeling quite calm though...she was happy to get going and looking forward to dancing and meeting some new friends.
ABT wasn't allowing any parents inside the building and studio, so we had to say a quick goodbye and in she went.
So this is where she will be spending every weekday for the next 5 weeks!
I hadn't really thought about what I was going to do with myself on this first day, but I knew I wanted to be close. I had told her she should probably stay in the studio and have lunch with some of the girls, but that I could come meet her for their break at 11:30.
I picked up some iced herbal tea to settle my stomach, and hit the streets walking! I started in Union Square Park.
It was beautiful, but I didn't feel very comfortable with some of the people surrounding it, so I didn't stay too long.
I walked some more around the Flatiron District, and finally found some ice packs that we'd been looking for! I also came across City Bakery (another on my list!) to try their Pretzel Croissant. It was yummy!
I also found these fun appliances on display outside one of the shops. What fun to have one of of these in a kitchen?!
I ended up walking all the way to Chelsea Market. It was a bit longer than I thought, and it was getting hot, but it was worth the walk. It is a fun indoor marketplace with little clothing/jewelry shops, bakeries, food supply stores, cheese shops, wine shops, a bookstore, and a variety of small eateries.
So many fun bakeries! I was still full from my croissant, so I just took pictures. I will definitely have to come back. :)
I had tried Fat Witch Brownies the last time we were in New York. They were delicious, and I'm glad I found the shop!
I decided to take the subway back towards Zoe's studio at lunchtime. She text me to say that everything was going well and that she was staying to have lunch with some of the girls. I was relieved that she was doing great, so I continued on my exploration of the city.
I headed to the NYU campus to check it out. It is so crazy that the campus is located right in the middle of the city, and the buildings are sort of interspersed with other city buildings. I spent some time in the bookstore and then headed across the street to Washington Square Park.
It was really hot and humid outside, but I couldn't believe how many kids were swimming and playing in the fountain!
I continued to keep walking, and picked up a fruit/veggie smoothie for lunch to keep cool. I found the beautiful, old Grace Church.
Zoe had a shorter first day, so I headed back to pick her up at 2:30. They did their placement class in the morning and a nutrition/injury prevention lecture in the afternoon.
She survived her first day, was ready for a root beer float and a slice of pizza. I'm not quite sure that fit in with the nutritional guidelines she just learned about, but oh well!
We were both pretty tired from the last few days, so after her food stops, we headed back to the apartment to have a quiet, restful night in. I am so thankful that the first day is done, and that she has a smile on her face!
You can't really tell from the picture, but we also had our first rat sighting on the subway lines...eww!






















0 comments:
Post a Comment