Tuesday, July 22, 2014

NYC, Day 12...

I dropped off Zoe and walked towards Battery Park on my way to Pier 7. I passed this adorable chapel along the way and had to stop in...

I made it to the ferry and headed over to Governor's Island. It's a quick 5 minute ride across the bay.
 Governor's Island has a long history. Governors Island was a military post and later a major command headquarters of the United States Army from 1794 until 1966. Afterwards, it was used by the United States Coast Guard until the mid 1990's. It is now being transformed to a beautiful parkland and public area.
 The island is full of beautiful, old buildings. They had free bike rentals, so I picked one up and biked around the island.

Castle Williams was built in 1807 to protect New York City from enemy naval attacks. It eventually became used as barracks for soldiers, and then later as a prison.
 This is called Colonel's Row...



The other end of the island is being turned into a nice park area and children's playground. There are walking and bike paths all around.

 Great views of the Statue of Liberty...

Fort Jay was erected in the late 1700's, also to protect the city.
This was the housing in the middle of the fort.
 Nolan Park is such a pretty neighborhood, and mostly where officer's houses were.

 This is the Commanding Officer's House.

 It was really peaceful here...
 After exploring the island, I returned my bike and jumped on the ferry to head back to Manhattan.
After dance, we made a mandatory stop at Laduree for macarons, and a sorbet with macaron on top.
After dinner, we headed to Times Square for some shopping. We found a fantastic dance store, with some beautiful leotards...
We spent some time walking through the streets of Times Square, which were were very crowded, but is always a fun time!

0 comments: