"There's been an accident." Followed by the words you ALWAYS want to hear "Everyone is ok, just shaken up." So here is what happened...Zoe got the chance to go up to Palomar Mountain Observatory with her good friend Lacey and her parents Lisa & Guy, and 2 year old sister Chloe. Several families from Lacey's class at school were going and she was so excited to go on this adventure with Lacey. Unfortunately, just before they got there, they were hit by a motorcycle who was speeding and in their lane. It side-swiped their car and all of the rear windows of their minivan shattered. Luckily, no one was hurt, but Zoe was covered with glass and everyone was very frightened. Fortunately, another friend of ours, Meg, was not too far behind them and pulled over after the accident had occurred. I must say, she was truly an angel. She was the one who made the phone call to me to tell me what had happened since Lisa was dealing with 3 crying girls and Guy was dealing with the motorcyclist and calling the police. Meg truly was a calming voice and I am incredibly grateful that she was there!
When that phone call came, I was at the pumpkin patch carnival with Cooper. I couldn't even think. I started shaking and just wanted to be with my baby girl. Guy got on the phone and I told him I was on my way. That 40 minutes was the longest time in my life. Even though I knew they were fine, I just wanted my arms around my girl and I was so sad that I wasn't with her when I knew she was so scared!
Once we had dropped them off and were back at home, I wondered how she would be. Lisa said she had handled everything really well and was very brave. I didn't want to overwhelm her with questions, so I just let her tell me what happened in her own time. She told me bits and pieces throughout the day. She told me that the firemen were really nice to her and gave her water. The "ambulance guy" asked her if she was okay and checked for cuts. She said the policeman asked her questions about how old she was and if she knew her address. That was about all she said.
The kids wanted to go out to dinner, so of course I gave in. Halfway through, Zoe laid her head on my lap and said "mom, I was really scared". It broke my heart. Then she couldn't stop talking about it for the rest of dinner, so I think it felt good for her to get it off her chest. I could tell all afternoon that things were running through her head, but she didn't know what to say.
So, needless to say, I am incredibly thankful to God for watching over Zoe and our dear friends today...
Sunday, October 26, 2008
4 Words You Never Want To Hear...
Created by Wendy at 10/26/2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
I am grateful everyone is okay. It is amazing how God watches out for each of his children (and their parents)....that road is crazy. Hope you both sleep tonight. And give Zoe some extra squeezes (Cooper, too). You have been blessed.
Post a Comment