Sunday, September 21, 2008

Fall is Here! Time for Apples...

At the beginning of Fall each year, we head up to Oak Glen for an annual apple picking trip with a couple of our neighbors. Unfortunately our friends Gene and Michelle weren't able to make it this year, so it was just us and our friend Brian with his two girls Haley and Bella. It was such a beautiful day with crystal blue skies. We started off walking around Los Rios Ranch on a few short hiking trails. The scenery was beautiful and the trees were amazing. They have a whole area of Redwoods to walk through.
We came across a small pond which had a huge catfish that the kids just couldn't get enough of looking at!
We walked over to one of the many u-pick farms and started picking raspberries. This is the end of raspberry season, so we really had to search and find the last remaining ripe berries. They were so delicious though; it was hard not to eat them all before filling our basket!

It was time to move on to the apple trees. This is the beginning of apple season and after a little bit of searching we found some great trees with yummy gala apples! The kids had fun twisting the apples off the branches and filling the bags.
After all of our hiking and picking we were all starving. So we headed to the village for a BBQ lunch. Afterwards the kids played in the village and got dessert.We always have so much fun on this day trip. I love this time of year!!So at the end of our long day, it was time to come home and make homemade caramel dip to go along with our bag of freshly picked apples. Yummy!!

2 comments:

Chessa said...

I was just thinking about this yesterday as I picked an apple off our tree to see if it was ready...I think we'll head up in a couple weeks because we always have so much fun and I need to feel like it's definitely fall....you'll have to tell me where the BBQ place is...

Jenny said...

I'm with Chessa. Looks like a fun tradition! I like the new background!