Well, Cooper came in from playing outside with his buddies, held up his arm and said, "What do we do about this?" I rushed to him and saw that he had been pretty banged up and went to work cleaning his wounds and trying to bandage things up.
Turned out to be a dual fracture of his scaphoid bone. Poor kid! They put him a splint and sling and sent us on our way, telling us we needed to follow up with an orthopedic specialist to determine if surgery was necessary and for further treatment. Coop was in a lot of pain that night!
We had to wait through the weekend. Coop was miserable. He couldn't do anything in the splint, and he was still in pain from the broken wrist and all of the cuts.
Thankfully, through connections of a friend from one of my jobs, I was set up with a wonderful pediatric orthopedic surgeon on Monday afternoon. They gave Coop the VIP treatment and determined that his bones were in good alignment and no surgery needed. We were so relieved! So Cooper picked his color and they proceeded to cast and do another X-ray.
We will have to go back in 2 weeks to take the cast off, make sure the abrasions are healing without infection, and re-cast for at least another 4 weeks.
I'm not sure how to keep this kid down! He won't be able to start lacrosse this week, no basketball, football, skateboarding, bike riding, surfing, swimming, etc. And with his thumb cast to the tip, he can't even play his Xbox. I have a feeling we will be using some creativity to keep him from getting bored! Also, since it's his right arm, he will be having a tough time trying to do school work. I guess it will all be figured out and his left arm will get strength built up. I'm just so very thankful that it wasn't worse!





0 comments:
Post a Comment