Saturday, September 1, 2012

Saying Goodbye...

After 90 years, we lost my sweet Grandfather, Sal Cordaro (or Poppe, as we all called him). I am so thankful that I trusted my gut and headed to his place last Saturday, just in time to say goodbye. It was so incredibly difficult, but also a relief to see him out of pain, and knowing that he was in God's arms with a smile on his face.

Poppe lived a long, and wonderful life. He was born in Rochester, New York and grew up working in a grocery store that his parents owned. He went to Canisius College in Buffalo. During his college years he began a career as a professional musician, playing the Hammond organ. He played along side several famous musicians, including Nat King Cole. He graduated with an engineering degree, which led him to work on the Manhattan Project during WWII. He married my grandma, and they were married 45 years until her passing in 1994.  In 1952, they moved to California. His passion was still with music, and he continued to play the organ professionally for over 30 years, during which time he started Di-No Recording Studios, where he recorded many artists and also six albums featuring himself playing the Hammond organ. As technology changed, his love of technology grew and he began a new career by opening one of the first Apple Computer stores in the nation in 1978, named Di-No Computers. Up until the end, Poppe enjoyed using the most up to date Apple products and stayed involved in the business. When he partially retired, he and my grandma spent a lot of time with family and friends on their 42' TollyCraft named "Sal's Folly" which was docked in Huntington Harbor.

The words that everyone uses to describe Poppe is kind, a true gentleman, and even a snazzy dresser! He truly was one of the kindest men I have ever known. He was passionate, loved to tell stories, loved politics, and treated everyone around him like they mattered. He loved his family dearly, and we all enjoyed spending lots of time with him. I am so thankful that I had such a wonderful man to look up to, and learn from. We were able to spend quite a bit of time together the last few months, not only reminiscing, but he was teaching me about the financial reports for the computer business. I loved soaking it all in!

Today was the service to officially say goodbye.

You would think that after such a long life, it would be easier to say goodbye. Unfortunately, it's just not the case. I feel at peace knowing he is reunited with my grandma, and his sister, but I will miss his terribly. It was nice to be surrounded by family and friends, and listen to all of the stories people shared about him. He truly was a wonderful man...

0 comments: